Creating a reading list with persistent URLs
How do I create a reading list (with links to full text) in NYU Classes?
You need to generate persistent URLs for the articles & ebooks you want to include in the reading list, then you need to paste the persistent URLs into NYU Classes. (Why persistent URLs?)
A persistent URL is a link to licensed content made available through NYU Libraries' subscription services. Using a persistent URL ensures (1) that you're complying with copyright and (2) that you're providing students with a dependable link that you can reuse semester to semester. For more info about copyright/fair use issues, see Copyright and Course Content and Copyright Basics.
Where in NYU Classes can I paste the persistent URLs?
Anywhere you choose, but a suggested method is to create a Reading List subfolder within the Resources folder of NYU Classes. Here's how:
- Log in to your NYU Classes page.
- Click on the Resources link on the left menu bar. (show me)
- Next to the top level folder icon, use the Add dropdown menu. Choose Create Folder and name it Reading List. (show me)
- Next to the Reading List folder icon, use the Add dropdown menu. Choose Add Web Links (URLs). (show me)
- Insert the persistent URL (see instructions below). Give the article a brief name. In the description field, you can put the correctly formatted full citation. (show me)
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 above for each article you want to put in the Reading List folder.
How do I create persistent URLs?